Right after delivering Joshua, I hear the doctor and Aaron saying, "He has teeth!" I was confused and surprised by this and after a closer look, we noticed that it was just his gums. The pediatrician took a look at it and thought they were just cysts and they weren't anything to worry about. They didn't think there were any teeth in them.Aaron got a picture of them (bottom middle two):When Josh was four days old, I noticed one of his bumps had started bleeding a little bit and there was some white coming up on top. I wondered if it really was a tooth coming up but it was really soft so I thought it might just be a blister or something. The next day was his newborn follow-up appointment and the white part on top was clearly larger and clearly a tooth. The doctor did not know what to do about it. She worried that it would fall out at some point and he would asparate it into his lungs. We spent a LOT of time in the waiting room while we waited for the oral surgeon to call the doctor back so he could come take a look at it. Well, he was finally able to come, and he said it would need to be pulled right away since it was so loose. We used our phone to take a picture of it before it was pulled:
So the oral surgeon pulled the tooth while I walked Gabriel around the halls. Joshua only cried for like 2 seconds. So now we have his first lost tooth and the poor guy will not have a tooth there until his adult one comes in around age 6. If the other cyst grows a tooth, it will most likely have to be pulled as well. Then he won't have his two bottom middle teeth until the adult ones grow in. The poor kid. Aaron looked up that this neonatal teeth thing happens every 1 in approx 3-4 thousand babies. My baby sure is 1 in a few thousand.
THE WICKLEY FAMILY
Aaron, Jennilee, Gabriel, and Joshua
Monday, September 22, 2008
Joshua's First Milestone...The Tooth Fairy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
oh my gosh! that is amazing?! not sure that amazing is the right word for it, but glad he's okay and it's nothing to worry about. what a special guy :)
Okay, that is crazy! I'm glad that it was a tooth and not just bloody gums and infection! =)
Wow! I've never heard of that. I'm glad everything is okay now and hopefully the other one won't do the same thing.
That totally happened with my Grandma. She told me that she was born with teeth and I confess, I didn't believe her. Thanks for the pictures. That is impressive.
Post a Comment